Driving Licence (DL): The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) is the prominent authority in India, which caters to all the matters related to Road transports in India. It formulates policies and release new circulars related to Road Transport activities such as issue of Driving Licence, Registration of Vehicles, Traffic Norms, and various other. Driving Licence (DL) is an important tool that is compulsory for each motorist/ driver to have while driving.
As per the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, without a valid Driving License no individual is allowed to drive a motor vehicle in a public place in India. A penalty imposed and legal actions are taken against a person if found driving without a valid Driving License.
Driving License are issued by the Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) in every States/ UTs. However, applications can now be filled online. For online applications and to deliver other DL services, MORTH has released an online application or portal called SARTHI. This helps users to get an easy access to DL related services while sitting at their homes. Now, Driving License Applications can be submitted online from any part of the country without physically visiting the RTO.
Using SARTHI online application, one can explore and experience plethora of Driving License Services provided by the Concerned Ministry.
In this article, check all the important details about Driving license all the related aspects of it such as Application process, SARTHI portal, Eligibility, documents, its types and classifications, application status, and many more.
An Overview of Driving Licence (DL)
|Driving License (DL)
|The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH)
|State Transport Departments
|Mode of Application
|Online and Offline
|Official portal URL
Significance of Driving License
Let us start with discussing significance of having a Driving License in India-
- Driving License in serves as a photo identity proof or address proof document which can be produced to prove the identity of a person whenever required.
- Driving Licence facilitates licence holder to drive their vehicle without any restrictions across the country.
- Driving license is important document for driving vehicles in India. This helps drivers to avoid various legal complications related to road transport.
- As DL is a document issued by the Government it can be used a proof in case of any legal proceedings.
Types of Driving License
The Online Portal i.e., SARTHI allow users to apply for four types of Driving Licenses. These are-
- Learner’s License
Learner’s License is first step towards getting a driving License in India. Driving License are not issued directly to the applicant in the first. Before applying for DL, they must apply for LL. Motor vehicle owners have to first apply for the learning License which tells that the person is in learning stage. Motor vehicle owners can apply for LL from the SARTHI Portal. Learning licence is valid for a period of 6 months throughout the country.
- Driving License
Citizens who are issued Learner’s License can apply for Driving License once the validity of LL is completed. Driving Licence application can be submitted online. Those who do not access to internet can also visit the concerned RTO to apply for Driving Licence.
- Conductor License
A conductor License is issued to the person who is allowed to act a conductor of a stage carriage. Eligible person can apply through the SARATHI portal.
- Driving School License
These Licenses are issued to the Driving Schools which provide driving training to the citizens. Those who wish to run a driving school license must get a DSL first. It can be obtained by submitted an online application through the online portal.
Apart from the aforementioned categories of DL, there are few other types of DLs which are issued by the Transport Departments. These are-
- Commercial Licence- Commercial Licence is issued to the drivers of the Heavy motor vehicle which are engaged in transportation and carriage of passengers and goods.
- International Driving Permit/ Licence- This type of License is issued to the people who are willing to drive motor vehicles in country other than India.
Check the list of all the vehicle categories and Licence Class mentioned in the DL described below-
|Vehicles having engine capacity of 50cc or less
|Vehicles with engine capacity of whose 50CC or more with gears
|Motor cycle (MC) with and without gear with engine capacity more than 175cc
|Light Motor vehicles used only for personal use
|LM vehicles Invalid Carriage-Non Transport (ICNT) used by physically disabled people for personal use
|Light Motor Vehicle Transport used for commercial transportation
|This class include heavy motor vehicle which are used for commercial purpose and possess All India Permit
|Heavy Goods Motor Vehicle such as big trucks, trailers, larger trucks etc used for transportation of goods
Eligibility for Driving License
To apply for a Driving Licence, one must fulfill all the eligibility conditions. Check what are the requirements for getting a Driving Licence given as under-
- The minimum age for issue of DL for a gearless vehicle such as scooter should be 16 years.
- Minimum age for DL for a motor vehicle, Four-wheeler vehicle or non-transport vehicle is 18 years.
- Minimum age for issue of Driving license for commercial purpose is 20 years.
- Commercial DL applicants should hold a Light Motor Vehicle Licence.
- Applicant should be medically fit.
- Those who are applying for International permit must have a driving experience of at least one year in India.
Documents Required for DL Application
To prove the eligibility criteria for Driving Licence, applicants must possess all the requisite documents and should attach the same with the DL application form. The list of all the required documents for Driving Licence application can be viewed below-
- Proof of Address- Applicants can submit any of the following document as proof of Address
– Permanent Residence proof
– House agreement
– Ration Card
– Voters ID card
– Aadhaar Card
– Electricity bill (should be issued in the name of applicant)
– Insurance policy bond
– Temporary proof of address (rent agreement/ LPG Connection/ electricity bill proof)
- Proof of Age- As a proof of age, applicants can provide any of the following documents-
– Birth certificate
– SSC certificate/ High School certificate
– Pan card
– Transfer certificate (School) issued by the school which must indicate date of birth of the applicant
- Other documents-
- Dully filled in application (if offline application)
- 3 passport size photographs of the applicants if applying for Learner’s license or driving license.
- Application fee receipt in case of offline application
- Medical certificate for candidates above the age of 40 years.
Driving Licence Application Process
Applications for Driving Licence can be submitted in online as well as offline mode. To submit online applications, Government has launched an online application called SARATHI. Those who do not have access to internet and online mode can apply in offline mode. For that they have to obtain the application form by visiting the concerned RTO and submit the application.
In this section we have discussed the step-by-step process to submit online application for Learner’s License and Driving Licence using SARATHI portal. So, scroll down and get the details of application process-
Online Application for Learner’s Licence
- Begin with searching SARATHI portal on your browser.
- Open SARATHI official portal and you will be landed on the homepage of the portal.
- Now, select your state from the drop down menu.
- You will be redirected to a new page. Click on “Apply for Learner’s Licence” tab.
- Now, page showing instructions about the application will open. Click on “Continue” button.
- Now Select the Category and click on Submit button.
- Application form will open. Fill the personal details, Address details in the space provided with care. Select class of vehicle, mark the declaration and click on Submit button after crosschecking the entered details.
- Now, second stage of application process will open. Upload the required documents in the format specified.
- Submit the application fee through any of the preferred online payment mode.
- After payment, verify the payment by entering your application no. and date of birth.
- Lastly, take the printout of the receipt and keep it safe for your references.
Online Application for Driving Licence
- Open SARATHI portal. Link is given below.
- Select the respective state from the drop-down menu.
- Now, click on “Apply for Driving License” option given on the homepage of the selected state.
- Read the instructions and click on Continue button to proceed.
- Select the appropriate option and provide required details. Click on “OK button”.
- Application form will open.
- Fill all the personal details, address details, vehicle class and other information carefully in the space provided.
- Mark the declaration and click on submit button.
- Now, upload necessary documents like age proof and address proof in requisite format and proceed.
- Also upload photograph and signature (if required)
- Now, Slot booking option for issue of DL will open. (It is applicable in only some of the states)
- After slot booking, you will be redirected to the payment option.
- Make the payment of the application fee.
- After payment of fee, you need to verify the payment status.
- Once verification of payment is over, you can download and take a printout of the receipt for your record.
DL Application Charges/Fee
Applicants have to submit a pay application fee as prescribed by the authority for each type of service and DL activity. Check the fee applicable for different activities given in the table below-
|Amount in Rs.
|Driving licence (DL)
|International Driving Permit
|learner’s licence (LL) in Form 3 for every class of vehicle
|Fee of LL test or repeat test
|For test, or repeat test, as the case may be, of competence to drive (for each class of vehicle)
|Renewal of driving licence
|Renewal or Endorsement of authorisation for vehicle hazardous goods carriage
|Fee of adding another class of vehicle into DL
|Issue/ Renewal of DL to a school or establishment for providing driving instructions
|Duplicate DL to a school or an authority for providing driving instructions
|Renewal of DL for which application submitted after the allotted grace period
|Rs. 300/- (Additional fee @ Rs.1000/- for delay of each year
|Application for change in address or other information in DL
DL Services available on SARATHI portal
Citizens can avail various services and extract DL related information from the SARATHI portal. The list of all the available services is as follows-
|Application for Learner’s Licence
|Update Mobile No.
|Application for Driving Licence
|Application for International Driving Permit
|Apply for Renewal of DL
|Application for Duplicate DL
|Replace of DL and other services
|Application for change in Address
|Application form printing
|Addition of class of vehicle in an application
|Check Payment Status
Validity of Driving License
Driving Licence are issued for a specified period of time. After the expiry of the validity period,DL holders have to renew it. The validity of a Learning Licence is 6 months from the date of issue. In case a person is having a newly issued DL or have renewed it then the validity of DL will be effective upto period of 5 years from the date of issue/renewal.
For other kind of driving license (in case of DL having non-transport class of vehicle) validity will be ad follows-
- If the DL holder has not completed the age of 30 years as on the date of renewal of issue, then the DL will be valid till the date DL holder attains the age of 40 years.
- In case person has attained the age of 30 years but not the age of 50 years on the date of issue/ renewal of DL, then the DL will be valid for a period of 10 years from the date of issue.
- In the person has attained the age of 50 years but not 55 years as on the cut off date i.e. the date of issue then the DL will be valid until the DL holder attains the age of 60 years.
- In case DL holder is of 55 years on the date of issue, then DL will be valid for 5 years from the date of issue.
DL Application Status
After successful submission of application forms, you can check the application status using the online portal. Follow the instructions below to get your application status-
- Go to the official portal.
- Select state from the list of states.
- Now, click on “Application Status” tab given on the menu bar or from the options displayed below.
- Now, enter your application no., date of birth and captcha code in the space given.
- Click on submit button.
- Application status of the respective application will open.
- Check the application status and other details.
|Driving Licence Application
|DL Application form PDFs
|Vahan Parivahan RC Status
For anu technical support related to Sarathi portal and Driving License, contact at the given details-
Sarathi, National Transport Project
Phone No.- 0120-2459169
E-mail Id- [email protected]
What is a Learner’s License?
Learner’s License is a provisional license which is issued initially to the applicants who have applied for driving licence for the firs time.
How can we apply for Driving License online?
Citizens can apply for Driving License using the SARATHI portal launched by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
How to renew DL in other state?
Citizens can renew their DL in other states by submitting an online application at the present RTO from where they have issued the DL. There is no requirement of submitting NOC but candidates must submit mention request for address change in the application form.
Can a person cancle his application and apply for refund?
One can cancel the application and on cancellation the complete file of application will be closed. In case of cancellation of application, no refund will be initiated by the Authority.
Is it possible to edit information in DL application form after submission?
No, after submission of application form, applicants cannot make any changes in the form. They can cancel the application if wrong information has been filled and apply again.
How can we make payment of application fee for Driving License?
DL application fee can be paid in online mode using internet banking option, credit/ debit card or UPI options.
How to apply offline for Driving license in a State?
You can visit the concerned RTO to get the application form.